Almost 97.5% of the world’s water is in the seas or oceans or packed under ice caps, which is too salty for human use. Thus, we depend on every tiny drop of natural freshwater for our sustenance. And there is a steep scarcity of it worldwide!
The scarcity of water in India affects thousands of people and there’s a clear lack of means to get water for people’s daily needs. This situation is expected to get worse over the years as the population is predicted to rise to 1.6 billion by 2050.
City people may not realise the issue of shortage of water today. Although cities like Chennai, Kolkata, and Bangalore have already felt it, water is still a necessity they can afford. However, 82% of rural households still don’t have a piped water supply. For them, washing hands or staying hydrated is a luxury they can’t afford.
Global water consumption has increased over 6-fold and it’s twice the rate of population growth. About 1/5th of the world’s population lacks access to safe drinking water. It’s alarming and requires immediate attention.
We may not talk about it often in our social groups or hear about it on the news or read about it on social media but the problem does exist. We must start the conversation and consider creating awareness about saving water.
Tips to Manage Water in Your Home
COVID-19 has heightened the water problems and currently, a lack of clean water is a major concern for cities in developing countries, especially in the slum areas.
Saving water is one of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and with the pandemic catching everyone by the storm, countries will have to find different ways to accomplish this goal. Especially when the global focus is to provide clean water for frequent hand washing, drinking and personal hygiene to stay free from germs.
The water resources are being depleted every day due to the rising level of pollution. And given how essential water is for our survival, we must practice water management right at our homes. To reduce the chances of water shortage, everyone needs to equally make efforts to conserve it, starting today.
There are two ways through which we can save water at home, one is through manual efforts and the other with smart home automation technology. Some of the most manual ones that have been taught to us since a young age like –
- Always turn off the tap when not in use and getting leaky taps fixed immediately.
- Either take a bath with a bucket of water or keep your showers short & sweet.
- Wash all your clothes together instead of in separate lots.
- Get the modern flush toilets as they waste less water and flush better.
- Water your outdoor plants not with a pipe but with rainwater or water from the RO system.
- Get a dishwasher or use a bowl of water instead of running it while cleaning the dishes.
- Demand new laws about water recycling.
- Encourage people around you to conserve water and discuss it within your groups.
- Install water-saving showerheads or flow restrictors.
- Keep the water turned off while brushing and shaving.
Such simple and small steps can contribute to water management and help the nation in the water crisis. However, there is a technological way to conserve and invest in something that’ll contribute more to saving water. With the advancement of technology and everything is operated through an app, you can use automatic water management to understand the water level consumption and monitor it.
What is Automatic Water Management?
Water management automation in homes is a process that ensures the proper use of water with the reduced human effort involved. From water pump controlling, billing water usage to irrigation in the agricultural areas, it can be used in different areas for different purposes.
With an automatic water level controller system, one can monitor the water tank by measuring the water flow, water level, water temperature and even send notifications to the user through messages or app notifications. This makes it easier to get a better hold of the whole process.
The advanced technology used in this system provides a fully automatic water level controller. Its advanced ultrasonic sensors give you the exact real-time water level readings on the app. It also includes a real-time clock which ensures that the timer is always working and you can switch on/off the water pump directly through the app. One such automatic water management system that helps fill your water tank and controls the water level is TankBolt by Oakter. It sends monthly water consumption reports, checks the real-time water level and also works on voice commands.
Tips for automatic water management
- Checking the sensors – One of the things to remember is to check the sensors frequently. This helps ensure that none of the water is being wasted.
- Proper Maintenance – Once the system is set up, it’s essential that the filters are clean and always have a spare battery for the automatic water level controller.
- Timer Control – Take advantage of the timer control and schedule the device through your smartphone in the mornings when you wake up or in the evenings while relaxing.
- Connection – While an automatic water management system would work even without WiFi, once setup. It’s however beneficial to have a wifi connection to take advantage of all the features provided by the system.
- Multiple Operators – The system may allow almost 10 members to control it and operate the functions but always remember to communicate when you switch it on/off. Everyone can see the operations happening on the app but you must remember everyone involved uses the functions well.
Today, we have a lot of advancement happening in technology and it’s helpful for everyone when inventions are made that can help contribute to the betterment of the environment and society. It’s essential that we talk more about this system and spread the word around in our social groups and even discuss with our families about water management.